Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Wheeler Cemetery

I wanted to take a few photos of Wheeler Cemetery and Chandler Cemetery since I
was headed to Maysville to visit my family Saturday. On my trip down Wheeler
Cemetery Road, I was amazed at all the houses that had been built in the Beacon
Hill subdivision near Baker Hill. As a child, I rode the school bus all through
that area for years. We'd stop to let out all theBakers that attended
Maysville Elementary, thus the name Baker Hill.
When I got to the cemetery, I noticed the grass had recently been cut. It's
good to know there'sfamily that still cares for the burial ground. The
wrought iron "WHEELER" sign that rests on the ground on a concrete pad was a
sure bet for a great photo. I ended up photographing all the graves and even
some of the unmarked field stones. I realized there are at least two and maybe
even four footmarkers that just have initials on them with no headstones, such
as"L.J.N." for Linton J. Nicholson and "F.V.N." for Frances Victoria
Nicholson, his wife. Those footmakers were simply laying on the ground, and it
made me realize just how easy it is for a marked, or partially marked grave, to
become an unmarked grave in a few years. This is why it is so important for
inventories to be taken of cemeteries. Fortunately, Don Sailors inventoried all
of Jackson County's cemeteries circa 2002 and photographed all he could. I have
a copy of the Jackson County Cemetery CD that Sailors created, and it is the
best $60 I have ever spent on research media. I have used that CD hundreds of
times to look up burials. The CD can be purchased at the Commerce Library.
Today I spent several hours uploading the pictures of Wheeler Cemetery
headstones to VictorianMaysville.com.

No comments: