Monday, October 17, 2011

Free Access to Ancestry.com Library Edition at Commerce Public Library


When I woke up Saturday morning, a trip to the Commerce Public Library entered my mind. I had spent most of the week researching my Wilbanks ancestors from Oconee Co SC via online
census records. But, those South Carolina reference books I remembered seeing in the Commerce Library were calling my name. After a visit to the Ryan's Breakfast Bar, I felt ready to
spend the next four hours working on genealogy. The library is open on Saturdays from 10 am - 4 pm, and I was there by 11 am.
I quickly started going through the SC reference books, which were marked with a green
dot on the spine. There was a book on the Pendleton District in SC, and some books on misc SC wills and court records. Most of the books covered really early time periods, such as 1790-1810, and I found no mention of Wilbanks.
While I struck out on getting any information on my Wilbanks line, I noticed that a couple of
visitors to the library's genealogy room were using the Ancestry.com Library Edition database with free access to do family searches. As soon as the computer was free, I sat down and began to search the 1930 census for Oconee Co SC. Although I can access Heritage Quest (census records) through the Georgia Library Galileo System at my apartment in Athens, the 1930 census records have not yet been added to Heritage Quest database. Also, the 1850 census is not indexed on Heritage Quest, yet is on Ancestry.com. I was able to add some additional relatives to
my family tree.
While I was there, I also wanted to conduct some limited research on any obituaries I could find for persons in my Maysville tree hosted by Rootsweb. The Jackson County Historical
Society has gone through some of the old microfilm of The Jackson Herald and printed out obituaries and placed those in binders for reference. One binder includes the obituary index. I was able to find two or three obits I needed, but soon realized it was time for the library to close.

No comments: