Monday, January 10, 2011

Remembering Aaron Hill's Grocery

With the recent passing of Mrs. Mozelle Hill, we take time to reflect on Aaron Hill's Grocery. Aaron and Mozelle Hill's store operated at 6 Homer Street in downtown Maysville for many years. It is my hope that readers will share their memories of the store on this blog.

I have my own memories of the store, albeit from the perspective of a youngster under 13. I was but a boy when I rode my bicycle to town from Comer Street to pick up milk and bread at Aaron Hill's. A rotating light in the window let customers know the store was open.

Once inside, my attention went straight to the penny candy case in the center of the store. Chocolate footballs and fireballs were my mission. Mrs. Hill would give me a tiny, paper bag to fill with my selections.

The wooden shelves were lined with rows of goods and prices were posted with thumbtacks. I remember the bushel baskets of produce near the checkout.

Most townspeople were able to buy "on account" and pay once a month.

Although I'm not sure when the store opened or exactly when it closed, I do think the opening of the Maysville Golden Pantry played a part in the demise of Aaron Hill Grocery.

In later years, I enjoyed seeing Mozelle at the Maysville Fish House, which operated out of the same store building. Mozelle's cole slaw was so delicious, and I looked forward to having a bowl. She was always so nice to me and I loved to talk with her. I am proud to have known her and thankful that she had a long life on this earth.

No comments: