Saturday, January 29, 2011

Athens historic newspapers added to Digital Library of Georgia

I was excited to find an article entitled "Old news now in modern format" in the Athens newspaper this morning. (see http://www.onlineathens.com/stories/012911/new_777772143.shtml )

The University of Georgia's Georgia Newspaper Project and UGA's Digital Library of Georgia have teamed up to provide historic Athens newspapers in a searchable format online.

Being someone who has spent many hours searching through old newspapers on microfilm, this tool is a great time-saver and research aid. Now I no longer have to visit the basement of the UGA Main Library during business hours to load microfilm to scroll through page after page hunting for Maysville mentions. From the comfort of my own home, I can now type in a keyword and have the database return results that would normally have taken me months, and even years, to find.

I wasted no time this morning trying out the database, and already I have found information which I'll be sharing with you in future blogs!

You can view the Athens newspapers search page in the Digital Library of Georgia at:
http://athnewspapers.galileo.usg.edu/athnewspapers/search

No comments: